Ship Borne Medics Course – Trident
The Medical Wing’s Ship Borne Medics (Trident) course is a specialist course aimed at the role of the Ship’s Security Officer (SSO).
The Trident© course follows the syllabus of the First Person on Scene-Intermediate (FPOS-I) course but has been adapted to equip our delegates with the necessary skills that may be required when at sea, whilst also including extensive hands on and role play scenarios.
The Medical Wing Instructors delivering the Trident course have first hand experience in working in the maritime environment as Ship Security Officers and are regarded as leaders in this field.
The Ship Borne Medics Course - Trident covers the following:
- Types of Drowning and ways to deal with them
- Hypothermia and associated cold/hot weather injuries
- Poisons and gas inhalations
- Extensive burns lessons
- Falls from height and crush injuries
- Blast injuries and Gunshot wounds
- Emergency extrication and evacuation procedures.
- The Pre Hospital Environment
- Scene Safety
- Infection Control
- Enhanced Patient Assessment
- Blocked Airway, Opening and Maintaining Airways
- Suspected Neck and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Choking and other Respiratory Problems
- Basic Life Support
- Use of Suction
- Recovery Position
- Defibrillators and Heart Rhythms
- Circulation and Shock
- Internal and External Bleeding
- Medical Emergencies such as Angina and Heart Attack, Diabetes, Stroke, Asthma, Fitting, Anaphylaxis and Allergic Reaction
- Oxygen Therapy
- Crash/Safety Headwear Removal
- Ventilation Support
- Trauma Related Emergencies such as – Fractures and Dislocations, Burns and Scalds
- Correct Techniques for Moving and Handling Patients
- Extrication of the Trapped Patient.
All gradates of The Medical Wing’s First Person On Scene (FPOS) course will gain a qualifications from both Edexcel and the Institute of Health and Care Development (IHCD).
The course is also recognised by the following:
- Faculty of Pre Hospital Care at the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Security Industry Authority (SIA)
- The Ambulance Service Authority. It entitles the holder to apply to work as a first responder.
Ship Borne Medics Course © – Trident is 5 1/2 days in length. The standard (non-bespoke) course is usually a 4 day course but The Medical Wing Ltd allows an extra day for in depth study into certain types of injuries or illnesses depending on which FPOS is being taken (Trident, HydroCarbon, HEMs etc), with intensive scenarios, role plays in varying realistic environments.
You will also be trained in more advanced skills which include:
- Cannulation* ( both Intravenous and Intraosseous using Cooks needle, B.I.G. gun F.A.S.T gun and includes live tissue training )
- Fluid Therapy*
- Needle chest Decompression in the Field*
- Emergency Cricothyrotomy and Advanced Airway Management including LMA’s*
- Advanced Trauma – Chest, Abdominal, Head and Extremity (including Tourniquets and Quick Clot).
- Patient Monitoring including recognising Respiratory difficulties and sounds, Blood Pressure and Pulse taking and Intra Muscular Injections to assist in a Medical Centre etc*
Plus Much More…………
The above lists just some of the techniques that you will be confident in before you leave the Ship Borne Medics Course – Trident.
Qualification: IHCD FPOS-I plus The Medical Wings Extended Skills Certificate
Course cost: £795+vat
Food and Accommodation: £400 ( Optional ) package is available and can be provided – subject to availability
Duration: 6 days
Nearest Station: Bicester
Map: Click here for map
Dress & Equipment: All safety clothing and equipment is supplied
For more information:
PLEASE TELEPHONE: 01869 357833 or 077874 17007
Or contact us via email: Click here for contact form
*Although these techniques are taught, The Medical Wing Limited does not condone their use within the United Kingdom. These techniques should only be used in hostile regions.